If you are a manager, supervisor, program director, or department chair and you are interested in referring an employee to Counseling for Faculty and Staff, you may find information about the three different types of referrals to CFS listed below.
- Self-referral: Faculty and staff or their immediate family members may contact us to schedule an appointment.
- Voluntary referral: Supervisors may voluntarily refer an employee to CFS by asking the employee to contact CFS and schedule an appointment. If the supervisor wishes to know whether or not the employee attended sessions, the employee must sign a Release of Information form, which gives CFS permission to inform the supervisor of the employee's attendance. If the supervisor wishes to know additional information, they must agree with the employee on the exact kinds of information released. The employee will then sign a Release of Information form that will allow CFS to divulge the specified kinds of information to the supervisor.
- Mandatory referral: A mandatory referral is issued when recommended by a Fitness for Duty Evaluation or by the Human Resources Services Director (or their designee) when a supervisor observes extreme or repeated behaviors indicating that an employee:
- may be in danger of termination;
- has made threats of suicide or suicidal remarks;
- may be dangerous to self and/or others;
- is using alcohol or drugs at work; or
- is functioning at work in an impaired manner.
400 University Hall
Boone, NC 28608
Counseling for Faculty and Staff
Institute for Health and Human Services
ASU PO Box 32102
Boone, NC 28608-2102
Phone: (828) 262-4951
Fax: (828) 262-6766
Hours of Operation
M-F, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
* Closed on University holidays.